Prioritize the CREATE Goals
CREATE Vision 2025:
In 2025, Lafayette has attracted and provided substantial investment by encouraging sustainable growth for existing efforts and nurturing new creative and cultural industries. This growth has improved access, awareness and participation to culture and recreation for residents and visitors, while developing related industries and supporting wider PlanLafayette initiatives.
CREATE Strategic Mission:
The CREATE Strategic Plan for Arts, Culture and Recreation will support this vision by catalyzing creative assets to improve quality of life, drive our creative economy, and stimulate investment in our community.
CREATE is a blueprint for:
Key Strategies to Meet goals:
Provide high-quality cultural and recreational experiences for residents and visitors.
- Provide resources and venues to secure local, national and international talent to perform in Lafayette.
- Enhance access in creative production and participation by underrepresented populations.
- Establish an annual public input event to discuss success of efforts or provide opportunity to refocus.
Develop state-of-the-art creative infrastructure to support the public realm and drive culture and parks participation.
- Establish an accessible multi-use creative industry performance and rehearsal complex between 300 – 1,500 seats.
- Identify infrastructure assets with potential to revitalize / re-use for arts & cultural needs (artist studios, live/work spaces, galleries, performance venues, markets).
- Establish and nurture cultural and historic districts.
- Better connect public parks and community assets.
- Pursue public-private partnerships to fund infrastructure / multiply public investment.
- Encourage creative clustering with intentional placement.
Educate and inspire the next generation of creative thinkers to build our workforce and retain talent.
- Develop an educational program for annual mini business plans and reports for select disciplines.
- Nurture arts and health education for K-12 students.
- Ensure local higher educational institutions have the curriculum, certification and teaching resources to cover innovation, entrepreneurship, leadership and management in relative industries.
- Build the best educational programs in the world to learn about our culture and language.
- Develop a cultural leadership or fellows program.
Promote and strengthen Lafayette’s creative assets at home and for visitors.
- Work with Louisiana Office of Cultural Development.
- Develop and further engage digital media to showcase assets.
- Incorporate cross-departmental, parish-wide brand and marketing campaign.
- Increase public awareness of assets by developing and maintaining a thorough and updated asset inventory.
- Pursue strategic international partnerships and collaborations.
Ensure robust support systems are in place to drive sector growth, capture return on investment and ensure sustainability.
- Establish creative economy division or commission.
- Assist in developing creative new ventures or projects.
- Maintain a program to assist existing organizations in increasing sustainability.
- Utilize industry knowledge and assets to interface across industries.
- Streamline policies and regulatory support to creative and community assets.
- Improve sustainability of parks and recreation.
- Work with UL and LEDA to develop related industry measurement and data collection tools.
- Continuously collect and review financial data of related industry organizations.
- Better incorporate French and other languages into daily life.