Supporting and strengthening our Cultural Economy is a big task. It requires everyone in Lafayette Parish working together toward our shared community goal to grow our local economy through Culture, Recreation, Entertainment, Arts, Tourism and Economy. We cannot to anything about the price of oil, but we can do everything about our Cultural Economy, our 2nd largest economy by working together.
What is CREATE?
- CREATE is a collaborative initiative that strengthens and supports the authentic cultural, recreation, entertainment, arts and tourism assets that make up our cultural economy in Lafayette Parish.
- CREATE unifies citizens and leaders from the public, private and non-profit sectors, as well as community-based organizations.
- Recognizing our cultural economy as the second largest economic driver and employer in Lafayette Parish, CREATE brings the cultural economy to the forefront through sustained focus and innovation to expand the global reach of our culture and commerce. CREATE will help us expand and further diversify our economy through a multi-year, multi-agency effort.
- Our local culture is a tremendous natural resource. It has helped diversify our economic platform and is poised for exploration.
Our citizens provide a deeply-rooted, diverse, genuine, thriving, vibrant and immersive experience for visitors and residents alike. CREATE offers an opportunity to give attention to infrastructure and investments to build a community that reflects our culture.
- CREATE will maximize our potential and identity as a community.
Who is leading the CREATE initiative?
CREATE is led by the Mayor-President Joel Robideaux and was launched during his annual address, the Robideaux Report, in March 2017.
What is the Vision, Mission and Strategy for CREATE?
In 2025, Lafayette has attracted and provided substantial investment by encouraging sustainable growth for existing efforts and nurturing new creative and cultural industries. This growth has improved access, awareness and participation to culture and recreation for residents and visitors, while developing related industries and supporting wider PlanLafayette initiatives.
The CREATE Strategic Plan for Arts, Culture and Recreation will support this vision by catalyzing creative assets to improve quality of life, drive our creative economy, and stimulate investment in our community.
CREATE is a blueprint for:
- Strengthening Lafayette’s cultural identity;
- Catalyzing new and existing creative assets;
- Driving strategic investment in new cultural infrastructure and revitalization efforts through matches and measurable outcomes; and
- Attracting more regional, national, and international workers, visitors and businesses to Lafayette.
With a transparent, actionable strategic plan based on community input, CREATE will strengthen Lafayette’s creative and cultural industries, continuously tracking performance indicators to inform ongoing investment and ensure the sustainability of the sector.
- Provide high-quality cultural and recreational experiences for residents and visitors.
- Develop state-of-the-art creative infrastructure to support the public realm and drive culture and parks participation.
- Educate and inspire the next generation of creative thinkers to build our workforce and retain talent.
- Promote and strengthen Lafayette’s creative assets at home and for visitors.
- Ensure robust support systems are in place to drive sector growth, capture return on investment and ensure sustainability.
Provide high-quality cultural and recreational experiences for residents and visitors.
- Provide resources and venues to secure local, national and international talent to perform in Lafayette.
- Enhance access in creative production and participation by underrepresented populations.
- Establish an annual public input event to discuss success of efforts or provide opportunity to refocus.
Develop state-of-the-art creative infrastructure to support the public realm and drive culture and parks participation.
- Establish an accessible multi-use creative industry performance and rehearsal complex between 300 – 1,500 seats.
- Identify infrastructure assets with potential to revitalize / re-use for arts & cultural needs (artist studios, live/work spaces, galleries, performance venues, markets).
- Establish and nurture cultural and historic districts.
- Better connect public parks and community assets.
- Pursue public-private partnerships to fund infrastructure / multiply public investment.
- Encourage creative clustering with intentional placement.
Educate and inspire the next generation of creative thinkers to build our workforce and retain talent.
- Develop an educational program for annual mini business plans and reports for select disciplines.
- Nurture arts and health education for K-12 students.
- Ensure local higher educational institutions have the curriculum, certification and teaching resources to cover innovation, entrepreneurship, leadership and management in relative industries.
- Build the best educational programs in the world to learn about our culture and language.
- Develop a cultural leadership or fellows program.
Promote and strengthen Lafayette’s creative assets at home and for visitors.
- Work with Louisiana Office of Cultural Development.
- Develop and further engage digital media to showcase assets.
- Incorporate cross-departmental, parish-wide brand and marketing campaign.
- Increase public awareness of assets by developing and maintaining a thorough and updated asset inventory.
- Pursue strategic international partnerships and collaborations.
Ensure robust support systems are in place to drive sector growth, capture return on investment and ensure sustainability.
- Establish creative economy division or commission.
- Assist in developing creative new ventures or projects.
- Maintain a program to assist existing organizations in increasing sustainability.
- Utilize industry knowledge and assets to interface across industries.
- Streamline policies and regulatory support to creative and community assets.
- Improve sustainability of parks and recreation.
- Work with UL and LEDA to develop related industry measurement and data collection tools.
- Continuously collect and review financial data of related industry organizations.
- Better incorporate French and other languages into daily life.